Saturday, January 16, 2021

Krista on Black Paper - original oil pastel portrait

soft colors oil pastel portrait painting on black


Strathmore's black mixed media paper is such a perfect support for oil pastel, which is what I used for this piece.  Drawing a model seated in a chair while I was perched on a barstool isn't the usual arrangement,  but it worked so maybe I'll use this set-up in the future.  I did some smoothing with my finger on this one, and maybe could have done more, but I do like strokes to show at least a bit.  Using black paper here with my Senneliers, but I also love Strathmore's blue mixed media - haven't tried the gray, but I will soon.  Am going to give the gray a try with my Caran d'Ache pastel pencils.  These pencils are expensive, but they are worth it! This little painting is about 5 x 5".  Thanks for looking!
 

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

Excellent little portrait Connie. I also like the rough background!!!

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Hilda - thank you so much - glad you stopped by!