Thursday, September 08, 2011

Emily - original oil pastel portrait sketch


I haven't posted in ages, because of internet problems - finally, though, it seems everything's cleared up (but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!). 
This oil pastel is on deep black Art Spectrum Colourfix paper (12 x 9" - but the image is about 9 1/2 x 8" and because I was obsessed with her curly hair, I put it a little farther down on the page than usual to make sure I could draw all those curls.   
For some reason, I'm doing lots of oil pastels these days and trying different supports for them.   Love these experiments - you just never know when one of them is going to be successful and it does happen now and then.
It's a little bit cooler here in Texas, but just as dry and we're thinking a lot about the folks around Bastrop and all they're going through with the fires there.  We had some fires in the last week here in Kimble County, but because of all the hard work done by our dedicated firefighters, we seem to be doing okay at the moment.  Thanks guys!
Thanks so much for stopping by - great seeing you here!  PS - to see more of my oil pastels, please visit my oil pastel blog.

2 comments:

Rosalie Wrona said...

I like looking at your oil pastel sketches and will be interested in your experiments with different surfaces. I have often wanted to explore the OP's more and always get stumped when it comes to surfaces - I'm not big on preparation before starting. lol :(

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Rosalie - I agree with you on not liking to do preparation before I paint. That probably has a lot to do with my affection for oil pastel!