Thursday, January 13, 2022

The Model Napping - original oil pastel portrait drawing

woman sleeping drawing lines loose realism

 Such a relaxing pose for the model - she couldn't help nodding off - especially since there had been a couple of hard poses before this one.  This drawing helps me to blend my love of line with a painted part of the piece - there's always a dilemma regarding exactly how much to describe with paint vs. line drawing  and I could have crossed the line (pun) 😀with painting more of the hair.  If I'd done any more, I might have needed to go ahead and paint the whole piece.  Just one of those things you never know until you've actually done it - so I stopped - maybe 'quitting while I'm ahead'?  I don't know, just did.  This one is on Canson pastel paper on the rough side, which I didn't realize - just had that urge to grab the paper and get started.  Actually, though, it's done with Caran d'Ache Neocolor 1- which I love - and then a bit of "touching" with Caran d'Ache oil pastel.  Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Beautiful portrait. I like how you combine the two, both line and colored shapes.

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi there, Anthony - thank you - great seeing you here!