Sunday, June 03, 2018

"Shelly's Red Locket" - watercolor portrait sketch

Another watercolor experiment.  This time I kept thinking 'what's wrong with this paper?'  The color would hardly stay on the paper and was about to drive me crazy.  Also, I was using a pan watercolor set made by Yarka.  I bought it probably 10 or so years ago, never used it, and I decided that either Strathmore, the paper maker, or Yarka paints must be defective.  Then I took a really close look at the paper.  I had, at some point, coated it with gesso to make it easier to lift the paint and totally forgotten.  So I was the culprit.  Anyway, I've since found my Yupo and I don't really need to gesso the paper.  This little portrait is 12 x 9".  Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

Her expression is beautiful, Connie.. A beautiful watercolor. I just bought watercolor paper and I will be using my Dads watercolors that I recently found while cleaning up....When???? Not sure since I'm so afraid to do it...silly, right?? Lol

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Hilda - that is so sweet - your painting with them will be extra special - I love this story and hope you post some of the work you do with your Dad's paints!