Friday, October 14, 2016

Joanie - original charcoal portrait drawing

I was going to do this in oil paint, but when I realized I just wouldn't have time, it was charcoal to the rescue.  Could probably do a painting from this drawing, but am happy with the charcoal version.  I used vine charcoal and General's Peel n Sketch (I think I've called it Peel n Draw before) on Strathmore 400 Mixed Media paper.  This paper is really versatile - it's 140 lb. and has just the right amount of tooth, although maybe not as easy to erase as I'd like.  But then I'm pretty hard on paper and work and work it 'til it's worn out, so really, there's no paper for me - I should probably work on my technique!
I kind of dreaded doing the hands, especially when there's not much time, but think they worked out okay.  This drawing is about 11 x 8".  I hope to be able to do a painting of Joanie - maybe we can have her as a model again soon.  One can hope.
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

hmuxo said...

She's beautifully painted!!!!