Saturday, May 05, 2012

Wistful - original oil pastel portrait painting/drawing

This is one of my favorite poses and it's difficult to get it just right, but I'm happy with it this time around.  It's not totally finished, I guess, but I like that slightly raw, unfinished look.  It's not for everybody, but I do love to leave a few lines showing.  The drawing is on 12 x 9" gray Pastelbord. 
I LOVE all of you subscribers and followers!  You just make my week! Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

3 comments:

hmuxo said...

Beautiful painting, Connie!! leaving those few lines..unfinished look is more painterly to me. I love working on pastelbord..SO SMOOTH!!!

Connie Chadwell said...

Thanks so much, Hilda - I really enjoy hearing from you and appreciate your visiting my blog!

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Rose and thank you for your nice comment! I worked with Senneliers on this one. Since there was a slight uptilt to her face, I concentrated on the drawing before getting on toward color. But I've started portraits with drawing the eyes, then going from there. Sometimes it's good just to mark where the features are to be by measuring carefully. It just depends and I honestly don't know what it depends upon. I guess you just do what seems to feel "right", but sometimes,it's hard to tell what's right 'til I get into it. I know this isn't much of an answer, but it's just off the top of my head.