Monday, June 13, 2011

More Drawing Exercises - original charcoal portrait sketches

On these hot, steamy summer nights (91 degrees at 10:30 p.m.), I plunk myself down in front of the TV and draw whatever's in front of me.  These old library book cards were around because I had thought of doing something with them - maybe not drawing - but they're a portable size, so they were pressed into service.  Since the actors are moving around, the resulting sketch uses a lot of memory drawing, which is good training, I think.  Sometmes, the sketches end up with different eyes or noses or mouths from the "models" onscreen.  I just "borrow" the next person's feature and plug it into my drawing.  So, they're not anybody, but a combination of several faces.  I have dozens of these practice pieces - here are a few. 
Thanks so much for stopping by Hackberry Street Studio! Sold

2 comments:

cohen labelle said...

These sketches are marvelous and the way you describe it - the process - quite delightful!

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you, Marcia - they were fun to do.