Monday, March 07, 2011

A Little Mystery - original oil pastel portrait painting




This loose, sort of scribbly oil pastel was done on black 12 x 9" Colourfix paper. Some of the black bits of paper show through here and there and I like the way that look accentuates the looseness of the work.
This afternoon - between my dandelion pulling efforts - I took my oil pastels outside and did some color studies. I have been reading Hensche on Painting by John Robichaux (a Dover publication) and decided to do experiments just with white - white in shade and then in sunlight. I then tried to duplicate the colors. Normally, I would use oil paint for these studies, but the oil pastel worked just great because it blends easily! It was a worthwhile exercise in learning to see better and it was so lovely being in the back yard with Roger while it's still cool and springlike.
Thanks so much for stopping by Hackberry Street Studio! Sold

2 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi Connie! Oh, it's beautiful! I agree with you about the black flecks. I'm glad you mention Roger. I was just admiring his photo.

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you Pom Pom - and I'm so happy you like Roger!