Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Letha - original oil pastel portrait drawing

I've sort of been away from my blog - wasting time doing paintings that didn't really succeed. But you have to try, right? Today it was so cold - okay, I know you folks up north think we're a bunch of sissies, but 15 degrees? That's cold for this part of the country! After I went to my Zumba class this morning, I came back home and then started to my studio, but it was still absolutely freezing. I just did a U-turn and walked right back to the house. So no oil paintings today. This oil pastel is from a drawing group in November. I loved the model's hair - it was expressive, if hair can be expressive. Although it wasn't a particularly remarkable pose, she was a good model and I really loved doing this drawing. I drew it on Sennelier Carte d'Art paper and is about 8 x 8".
Check out my blog at The Oil Pastel Review for an oil pastel painting that I'm working on - without a lot of success, I might add. Thanks for stopping by - stay warm!

8 comments:

Delilah said...

love the hair, I fight curls all the time, you have shown how lovely they really are.

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Delilah - I'm a curly girl myself and am always trying to calm my curls down. I was delighted to find a model like Letha, who just lets her curls do whatever they want.

Anthony Duce said...

I do like this image, how the colors make light. A very pretty face. Okay, I like the hair too.

Pom Pom said...

The hair IS very alive and warm! Brrrr! Stay warm, Connie!

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you Anthony for your comment - I always enjoy hearing from you - glad you stopped by!

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Pom Pom and thanks so much for your comment! I hear it will be much nicer weather next week - hope you're staying warm, too!

Anonymous said...

I've been away from my blog too but the first sunshine will get me painting again. Had a rest from art but your blog is getting me fired up again. I like this a lot, especially how you get all those colours into the hair and skin. It's lovely.

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you, Carol-ann - I think it's good to take a break every now and then. Makes us ready to get back into the fray. Thanks so much for stopping by - it's always nice to see you here!