Thursday, April 23, 2009

On My Easel - oil pastel portrait sketch







I don't have a completed painting, but I must post my assignment for the blog improvement class I'm taking, "Maintaining A Healthy Artist Blog" taught by Alyson Stanfield and Cynthia Morris, so here's a work in progress.
The first assignment is to describe on our blog posts what type of blog visitors we would like to attract. (I think a lot of our homework will be posted on our blogs.)
My blog readers are a delightful cross-section of art lovers - artists, collectors, gallery owners, dancers, art students and many others. I love having them all visit and comment on my blog or send comments to me via email. I hope to revitalize my blog and keep them interested in stopping by Hackberry Street Studio .
The blog goals I'm pursuing are those of increasing the number of my viewers, as well as making my blog a more interesting one.
This drawing, which I will complete early next week, is oil pastel on Colourfix paper, 12 x 9". Maybe I'll post it when it's finished. This young girl wanted to wear her cap, but I felt it shaded her face too much, so I had her turn it a little. I don't know if this will work. At this stage, though, things can be changed.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your blog and first glimpse of your work. I love the fresh, intimate, spontaneity of your figures. And I like this unfinished girl. Thanks for sharing her.

Connie Chadwell said...

Thanks so much, Leslie, - I hope you'll drop by again!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

This is just beautiful.

Peggy Feltmate said...

Hi Connie: I have only very recently discovered your blog and I am really enjoying it, especially the oil pastel works. I love the girl in the cap. I love your loose way of working with the pastel, something I am struggling with in my own work. I find oil pastel information and artists to be less represented online, (altho' there seems to be lots on soft pastels) so your blog is a treat. I am an amateur, learning as I go. I will be dropping by often! Thanks so much. Peggy

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

You can increase your readership by one if you send me some Tootsie Rolls.

I like your painting even if you don't give me chocolate.

Kim Bennett said...

You tease! I am all ready wondering where you are going to go to next with this pastel. Hope to see it in completion. :-)

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you, Elizabeth - I appreciate your nice comment!

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Peggy - it's so nice to hear from a fellow oil pastelist. It's a wonderful medium and very versatile! Have you visited the Oil Pastel Society? -http://www.oilpastelsociety.com -

Thanks so much - I hope you will visit again soon!

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Bill - Chocolate? I keep it all for myself. Yum! Thanks for stopping by!

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Kim - I will definitely post the finished oil pastel - it has to be finished by Mother's Day. Thanks so much for visiting my blog - hope you drop by again.